If you are a highly skilled artist who depicts nature AND are dedicated to the conservation cause, we encourage you to apply to join us. AFC is a non-profit invitational group of nature and wildlife artists from around the world. As a Group, we work collectively to promote our work, participate in members-only initiatives, publications and art shows, and at the same time, promote the conservation of our natural heritage. As a member you are part of a unique and very special international community.
To apply for AFC Signature Membership as an artist, please enter your email and a user name of your choice below. You will then be prompted to provide additional information for review by the AFC Selection Committee, including:
- One or two paragraphs explaining why you wish to become a member of the AFC
- Your biography/CV
- A summary of your past and ongoing support for conservation - this might include donation of artwork to conservation causes, volunteer work, or affiliations with conservation organizations (please indicate your willingness to pledge a portion of selected artwork to conservation-oriented organizations).
- A minimum of 3 (preferably 5-7) clear sample images of your work.
Alternate application method is to send an email to email@example.com and include the above information.
Please note: Not all applicants are accepted.
In 2017, AFC introduced a second category of membership to encourage involvement of all artists who are committed to the AFC mission. Under AFC's new membership framework, all new members are initially inducted to the Associate Membership level. Each year, as space allows and through a rigorous jurying process, a selection of Associate Members are invited to Signature Membership level. Signature which offers priority access and expanded opportunities to AFC programs and initiatives.
Following are key benefits of Associate Membership:
- Contribute to furthering the AFC's mission and leadership role in supporting conservation through art;
- Pride of membership in the world's leading nature art organization;
- Become part of an international artist community;
- Elegibility to submit for AFC's annual juried art exhibit;
- Personal representation on the AFC website (see below for details);
- Major incremental web presence, with readership substantially larger than major industry magazines;
- Receive information on 3rd party Call-to-Artists opportunities;
- Access to Anti-Scam Advisory.
Following are key ADDITIONAL benefits of Signature Membership:
- Prestige of being accepted a member of the highest order in the world's leading nature art organization;
- Expanded opportunities for participation in all AFC festivals, exhibitions, special initiatives (ex. murals) and international tours;
- Recognition with awards and medals of excellence;
- Elegibility to participate in the AFC Flag Expeditions Fellowship Program;
- Elegibility to participate in special AFC Expeditions, and projects;
- Expanded representation on the AFC website;
- Expanded professional features on your AFC website (see below for details);
- Expanded opportunities for news and event coverage on the AFC website;
- Recognition on AFC's social media channels;
- Signature Membership title status, allowing you to use AFC suffix after your name.
2018 Membership Highlights
New Cutting Edge AFC Artist Websites
AFC's latest generation website has been launched and is now being rolled out to members in phases over 2017. The new site has a fully updated look, with massive new functionality including: flexibility across all screen sizes, high resolution (watermark protected) images, video streaming, blog, mobile device optimization, social media integration (optionally login with your Facebook account), support for your own conservation awareness and fundraising campaigns, powerful search and artwork categorization capability, text formatting with image and video embedding and more! Take a look at AFC artists, Sheila Ballantyne's website.
Social Media Platform
AFC values the importance of social media channels for internationally reaching and building a following both for the arts and environment. It gives AFC and it's members a global, powerful reach without geographic bounderies. Some artists have used social media to raise funds for conservation by holding live auctions online, educational workshops, and tutorials. Social media is a powerful free networking tool that gives artists a voice online, a platform for campaigns to raise funds and awareness to conservation issues. Artist for Conservation is very active on several social media channels and profiles it's members, exhibit artwork, support for conservation, awards, artists news and events. Visit Facebook or Instagram @ArtistsforConservation, Twitter @natureartists.
AFC Festival 2018 in partnership with the International Ornithological Congress
AFC is proud to be partnered with one of the world's oldest and most important global organizations dedicated to bird studies - the 27th International Ornithological Congress (IOCongress2018) in Vancouver, Canada. Under the arrangement, AFC becomes the Congress' lead Partner for the Visual Arts. AFC's 2018 Festival and exhibit premiere will coincide with the late August event. The event traditionally attracts thousands of international bird scientists, patrons, researchers and birders. The main event will be held in Vancouver's spectacular Convention Centre in the epicenter of the city on the waterfront. Learn more
"Silent Skies" Collaborative Mural Project
A call for participation in 2017/2018 is for all AFC members to collaborate in the creation of a major public art centerpiece installation at the International Ornithological Congress." Silent Skies" is an international collaborative super-mural mosaic featuring all 678 endangered species of birds of the world. We are calling on all members to participate by committing to paint one or more of the 678 endangered species. AFC's 2018 Festival will premiere the annual juried exibit and mural in August 2018 in Vancouver, BC. Learn more
Touring Exhibit including Asia-Pacific
AFC will be once again be returning to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Fall of 2018. In 2017, AFC expanded its touring exhibit to mainland China toward developing an regular Asia-Pacific tour. Last summer, our international exhibit was exhibited at the Qingdao Lan Wan Art Gallery at Lan Wan Art Park - a relatively new 300 acre ecological park, monumental sculpture garden, and art village, centrally located in one of China's most beautiful and important coastal cities - Qingdao City. Ten artists participated in AFC's Asia-Pacific tour in 2017. We expect all juried artwork selected for AFC's 2018 annual exhibit to travel to China in 2019. Learn more
Membership dues are nominal and have been decided upon in order to cover basic costs of operation and marketing. To-date, the AFC has been supported almost exclusively by volunteer labour.
One-time Initiation Fee: USD $50.00
Annual Signature Membership Dues: USD $225.00
Annual Associate Membership Dues: USD $225.00
Getting Up and Running as a New Member
One of the important benefits of membership is your personal AFC website and Internet address. Once invited, you will be asked to submit all required material and a check (or online credit card payment) for the appropriate amount (see Dues and Fees). Included in the invitation will be a user name and a password which give you access to the easy-to-use, sophisticated Artist Web Site Management Tools.
These tools allow you to quickly and easily input the initial information and images for your new website, which you can later edit to keep the site up-to-date. This is the easiest and fastest way to have your website up and visible to the world. Simply log in from the site’s home page using your username and password and follow the step-by-step instructions. This involves little more than filling out forms. You can add as much material and as many images as you like and make changes to your site at any time.You also are given a feature that allows you to accept credit card payments online through the secure services of PayPal.
We will work with you to launch your AFC website and learn about opportunities to participate in AFC programs.