I have seen first hand what the OVWBCC does for the birds that visit their shelter and the conditions in which they have been providing that care. Their current shelter is old, has very limited space and does not provide basic necissities even for the wonderful volunteers who work tirelessly (think about it... feedings every 30mn for a very large brood!!).
I decided that I would try to help a local organization with raising funds to put towards their project of building a brand new, tailored for their needs, rescue shelter in Ottawa.
The Need for a New Centre
Our current building cannot be expanded or renovated, and adding badly needed outdoor aviaries is not an option at our current location. As the city grows, our services will be in more demand than ever. To help save more birds' lives now and in the future, a new facility is desperately needed.
Vision of the New Centre
The Centre is now committed to building its new permanent facility with construction expected to begin in the Fall/Winter of 2019, and completion sometime in 2020.
Featuring an energy-efficient design with over 6,300 square feet of indoor space and 3,000 square feet of outdoor aviaries, the new facility will provide quiet isolated spaces for recovering birds. Housing requirements for the 120 different species admitted each year can be complex. Although some birds have longer stays with us than others, providing a suitable stress-free environment for all the birds in our care is necessary to help reduce bird stress and risk of disease, and aid their recovery and subsequent release.
The new Centre will:
- Ensure there is a wild bird emergency care facility in the Ottawa Region.
- Provide a high standard of care provided to injured, sick, and orphaned wild birds.
- Include a large, modern treatment suite.
- Include safe outdoor flight areas, where birds can gain strength and test their wings before release.
- Continue to provide information and expertise about wild birds to the public.
- Provide an informal, engaging interactive education centre where people of all ages can learn about birds, their habitats, and environmental stewardship.
- Serve our needs now and well into the future for many decades to come.