Josh Tiessen is an international award-winning artist from Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada. Considered one of the world's top ten prodigy artists (Huffington Post) and the only known male art prodigy in North America (Dr. J. Ruthsatz, global child prodigy expert). Tiessen was juried in as the youngest member of International Guild of Realism ranked among foremost realist artists from around the world, Artists for Conservation and Society of Animal Artists, elite groups of the top nature and wildlife artists worldwide. Art Renewal Center USA designated him "Associate Living Master," and Jonathan LeVine Projects gallery chose him out of 2000 artists as First Place in their international competition "Search for the Next Great Artist."
Mentored by masters like acclaimed Canadian artist Robert Bateman, Tiessen has exhibited his work for the past 11 years in over 90 exhibitions including the National Gallery of Canada and prominent galleries in the United States. He has sold 90 original works and hundreds of limited edition giclée prints to private and corporate Canadian and international collectors.
Featured in more than 150 magazine and newspaper articles and on TV, speaking and teaching at 40 venues, making 75 invited art donations to charitable organizations, and establishing his own Arts for a Change Foundation, Tiessen has garnered upwards to 60 awards and honours including IGOR Creative Achievement, Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal and Canada's Top 20 Under 20 for his artistic accomplishment and philanthropic work.
In spite of this early success, Tiessen humbly acknowledges that his artistic talent is a gift from God. His artistic style is contemporary realism, through which he delights in showing the beauty and diversity of creation, and the image of God in human creativity.
To view full bio, CV, portfolio, press, media and much more go to www.joshtiessen.com
Selected conservation-related donations and involvement:
"Sketch for Survival" - Real World Conservation Trust
International A-Team for Wildlife
Friends of the Eramosa Karst (board member, donateding art for fundraising events and planning and participating in tree-planting and clean-up initiatives)
The Hamilton Naturalists' Club
Niagara Peninsula Conservation Foundation
Hamilton Conservation Authority
Bruce Trail Association
- 2017 - First Place (from 2000 artists worldwide), Jonathan LeVine's Search for the Next Great Artist, Jonathan LeVine Projects gallery
- 2017 - Designated "Associate Living Master" by Art Renewal Center USA
- 2017 Canada 150 Sesquicentennial Constituent Award, presented on behalf of the Government of Canada
- 2015 - 2018 #1 Best Art Gallery - Hamilton Community Readers' Choice Diamond Awards
- 2014 - International Guild of Realism - Creative Achievement Award
Awarded for painting "Ahoy Sleeper" at Robert Lange Studios
- 2013 - Young Entrepreneur of the Year
Stoney Creek Chamber of Commerce award
- 2012 - Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
For accomplishments as Canadian artist and philanthropist
- 2012 - National Gallery of Canada Competition Finalist
2nd highest votes from over 200 entrants across Canada in competition, "So you want to be an artist?" Participated in month-long group exhibition of top 12 finalists
- 2012 - Youth in Motion's Top 20 Under 20 Finalist
Made it into the top 40 from over 500 applicants across Canada
- 2012 - Ontario Junior Citizen of the Year Awards
Sponsored by Ontario Community Newspaper Association
- 2011 - Buckhorn Fine Art Festival Awards (Ontario's premiere wildlife show)
Future Promise Award and First Place for Teens (13-19) for "Guardian of the Karst"
- 2011 - St. Thomas Aquinas Foundation Art Award
Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District School Board
- 2011 - Associated Christian Schools International Fine Arts Festival Awards
Best in Show for "Behold The Door," "Scott Island" and "Snow Leopards" (2010)
- 2009 - Presentation of painting to Member of Parliament
Invited to present painting "Oscillating Otter" to Member of Parliament Dean Allison in Canadian Parliament, Ottawa